Friday, August 14, 2009

Final Observations from London

My final days in London, I know I will miss the city. It has been a great experience.

The two things I will miss the most are: WKD Blue and Twisted candy bars.
(Twisted candy bars are like our American Cadbury eggs, but they are available year-round. Could be dangerous!)

And speaking of food - the Brits have the most random assortment of "crisps." Hannah and I spent a significant amount of time at Tesco amazed at the different flavors. Trying them was an experience in itself.

Check out these potato chip flavors:
Worchestershire
Roast Chicken
Smokey Bacon
Paprika
Thai Sweet Chilli
Roast Ox
Ham and Mustard
English Breakfast (Builders breakfast)
Prawn Cocktail
Grilled Steak and Onions
Tomato Ketchup
Pickled Onion
Bloody Mary
Oriental Grill

And they really taste like what they claim to be. Roast chicken was one of my favorites - it was kind of tasty but weird at the same time because obviously the texture is all wrong.

One of our last nights in Greenwich, our resident ambassador from the university took us on a Pub Golf crawl around the town - complete with plastic golf clubs and balls. Surprisingly, the locals were not taken back by a group of 20+ college kids traipsing through the local pubs carrying golf clubs and wearing neon glow sticks. We did a "Captain Planet - our power combined" and an "O-H-I-O" shot.




One huge annoyance with the city - the faucets. I had to deal with this every morning trying to wash my face. The hot and cold water are so far apart that you are either scalding your hands or freezing them. Some designer needs to work on that.

I fully supported the designer who made the bathrooms at Heathrow airport though. My biggest pet peeve about airports is usually the tiny stalls - everyone is lugging huge bags and you usually can't even fit them into the stall with you! You could have fit an battalion's worth of luggage in the Heathrow bathrooms! (And yes, I was so amazed, I took a picture. True American tourist).


So as I leave the airport (and its huge stalls), farewell to London... I will return, but back to the U.S. for now for a choose-your-own-adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment