Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I'm gonna be a big star!

Start looking for me in the background shots of movies filmed in London.
This is going to be my big break in the film acting career I'm not pursuing.

And while I will probably not appear as an extra in any of the movies I've seen being filmed, that does not mean I did not take the opportunity to do some star stalking.



On the University of Greenwich campus: Gullivers Travels.
Every morning and afternoon on my way to class, I'd keep my eyes peeled for Jack Black, Jason Segal, and Amanda Peet. Ok, so I was mostly hoping to casually run into How I Met Your Mother star, Jason Segal. *Note: He is not in the costume tent below. We checked.



Actually, we were informed by Soldier #243 - as I have so dubbed him. He may actually be Soldier #17 for all I know.

We were not-so-conspicuously moseying through campus on their last day of filming at Greenwich - potentially with wide opened eyes, strained necks, and dangling cameras - when a man crossing from the dining to costume tent stops us. He asks if we know what they are filming, and we tell him we do. Unfortunately, our big stars weren't on campus that day, but we learned a little more about the film. I haven't figured out if he was B.S.-ing me when he told me they dance to Beyonce in one of the scenes, but with Jack Black and Jason Segal, I'm expecting a fairly comedic tale. We talked a lot about his role in it, too (I'll be looking for him in the soldier scenes). He apparently does a lot of extra work in the UK. When we weren't on campus watching the film crews, we could also see them from across the Thames. (There's a little park across the river - we take a footpath under the Thames to get there).


The entrance to the foot tunnel:

The very pretty park that overlooks the campus:


We also saw a Bollywood film being made on the Millenium Bridge. I'm probably walking in the background. I have no idea what they were filming - and they wouldn't tell us, but pretty cool right? Seems like a poor advertising strategy though. If you tell me the name of the film, I, being a silly tourist giddy about seeing a film being made, am likely to watch it when it comes out. If you don't tell me what you're filming, it is difficult for me to watch your movie later.



Of course, we didn't go to the Millenium Bridge with the intention of stalking Bollywood filmmakers.

That day we had started out at the Monument (that commemorates the Great Fire of London). We climbed all 311 spiraling steps to get some great views of the city.


To summarize what I could see from the top of the Monument:
St. Paul's
Construction Cranes
Tower Bridge
Construction Cranes
The Gurken
Construction Cranes
Construction Cranes
Construction Cranes
The Londone Eye
Construction Cranes


After the Monument, we were crossing the Millennium Bridge to get to St. Paul's station to head over to Piccadilly where there was supposedly some photography museum.



We never actually found the musuem, but my guidebook did lead us to an awesome ice cream/gelato shop called Scoop over by Covent Garden/Seven Dials.


I took a picture of it so I could say I saw some photography that afternoon. I would say my ice cream that day was just as satisfying as an afternoon at the gallery would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment