Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Before Buns of Steel videos...

Before Buns of Steel videos, people toned their legs by climbing the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral.
528 steps to be exact - from the Cathedral floor to the Golden Gallery.
And they had to be mighty thin and short for some of the passageways we went through!

It was my first time in St. Paul's this summer even though we've passed it many times in our journeys around the city. I saw it in my last trip to London, but that time I'd literally stepped off the plane an hour before and was pretty jet lagged.
We were awed by Christopher Wren's striking design and the breathtaking baroque High Alter/Quire area, explored the crypt to see Turner and Blake's graves. My #1 goal this time, however, was to climb to the higher levels of St. Paul's to visit the Whispering Gallery that has a great overhead view of the church internally and the Stone and Golden Gallery with views of the city.



It was 257 steps from the Cathedral floor to the Whispering Gallery. Hannah and I could tell secrets across the room. It truly does carry the sound around the outer sphere of the dome. It made me think of home - the whisper wall at the Wexner Center on campus.

Another 119 steps up to the Stone Gallery.
I pose for a photo with the Gurken in the background. Then, Hannah and I get our picture together.


I take some shots of London, also. The Tate Modern/Millenium Bridge below.

Plus some cool modern adobe type building. (Don't ask - I have no idea what it is. I just thought its architecture was interesting).


Finally, 152 steps up to the Golden Gallery - the highest level. Very narrow staircase - and no way of turning back once you started.



Great views. Who needs to spend £15 on the London Eye ticket?



A rather ironic sign at the top... "No way down."

Stuck at the top of St. Paul's indefinitely... until you find the down staircase.

No comments:

Post a Comment