Tuesday, July 14, 2009

We spent the only sunny day in the history of London indoors.

We had a day of full sunshine, a comfortable temperature, slight breeze. Perfect for exploring London and relaxing at Greenwich Park, right? In an ideal world, yes, but unfortunately, I spent it hunched over my laptop indoors looking longingly at the longest bit of sunlight I've seen since we arrived. Today was the big "due" day for 1) a piece comparing the artwork we saw to the literature we read, 2) an analytical essay on Romanticism as a reaction to the Enlightenment and how that is expressed in art and text, 3) research on Greenwich and London myth, and 4) a creative writing detective story. Its okay to be envious of how I'm spending my summer "vacation." Luckily, our next assignments aren't due for another few weeks so we have some time to relax and truly see the city!

I did actually spend some time at Greenwich Park. On Sunday, Hannah and I took a walk there during one of our study breaks (our first time walking through) and discovered a "secret garden" behind the Royal Observatory. Apparently this garden was not secret from the red fox that scampered across the path in front of us. We then found the amazing view from the top of the hill (seen below in the O-H-I-O picture taken the following day with some of our classmates). We overlook the Queen's House and Royal Navy College of Greenwich with the London skyline (and recognizable buildings, including the London Eye) behind. We weren't able to explore much that day because the park was closing and we didn't want to get locked inside the park and have to attempt to battle the anti-climb paint on the fences. (For your information, according to insight-security.com, "Anti-climb paint is a petroleum gel based paint which is applied thickly and never sets. It remains in gel form making any attempt at climbing any surface painted with it almost impossible and certainly very messy as it will contaminate skin, clothing, etc.")




Our class returned to Greenwich Park on Monday with our instructor. Some interesting history there and beautiful scenery. (In the picture below, we are standing on ancient burial grounds and overlooking an old Catholic convent). I expect I'll spend a lot more time there while I'm in Greenwich. (Fun fact: When I hang out there, I am at the center of world time - the Prime Meridian starts at Greenwich Park.)



Today we had a walking tour of London to see the many sights of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books. I didn't limit myself, however, to pictures of Sherlock Holmes-related material, so I thought I would post the pictures I found most interesting from our meanderings through the city.


The inside of the Charing Cross tube station - the whole side was decorated with various portraits and art.


The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) radio building. (I know, I'm a dorky communication major).


The Langham Hotel. (The Langham actually does relate to the Holmes stories, but I mostly wanted a picture of the doorman in the tophat. I tried to be discreet and just pretend I was photographing the building, but the smile on his face when our eyes met told me he wasn't fooled).


We walked by a row of embassies. I took a picture of the Polish one. :)


Sherlock Holmes himself down the street from 221 Baker St.



"The Globe" was the pub we ducked into following the tour.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment