Saturday, July 18, 2009

Buy our postcard - get rich quick schemes with foreigner's money

Every city in every country does it. They find some reason why tourists would want to come SEE some attraction and then casually offer a gift shop that sells them a picturesque photograph of that attraction. If you are really good at this, you'll make sure your visitors must exit through the gift shop so little treasures will catch their eye even if they don't want to buy anything.

Case #1: The Prime Meridian at Greenwich's Royal Observatory



You're at the center of the world - 0 degrees longitude - determined at least a little bit arbitrarily by some international council. But who wouldn't want a picture standing both in the eastern and western hemisphere simultaneously? I decided standing was simply too boring and jumping could be a bit more dramatic. (Of course, it is London so it is raining. And it is the irony of life that it rained for only half an hour that day - the half an hour we were outside trying to get a photograph).




Case #2: The Travel Bookshop in Notting Hill

I planned a trip to Portobello Rd. in Notting Hill to find The Travel Bookshop from the movie Notting Hill. Unfortunately, Hugh Grant was not working that day. Nevertheless, still a photo opportunity. I refrained from buying a postcard, but I think I might pick up a nice coffee table travel book before the end of my trip. A bit of a conversation piece, I suppose, buying it from a relatively "famous" store. I imagine The Travel Bookshop has received a lot more foot traffic, and I imagine a few more unplanned purchases, since the movie.



The market was quite enjoyable beyond just the touristy film photograph. Quite interesting goods and stands and I picked out a few "gifts" for myself. I try to buy a bit of jewelry everywhere I travel, and I found a unique freshwater pearl necklace that I really liked. (Pearls are my birthstone as well - June). I find it a more interesting and useful souvenir than a "I love London" magnet.



No comments:

Post a Comment