Monday, July 27, 2009

Oh what a night! Hypnotizing, mesmerizing me.

I couldn't stop smiling the whole night when we went to see Jersey Boys.


A number from the show was featured on the Tony Awards this year... and ever since, I really wanted to see it live. We grabbed student rush tickets after class and a bite to eat at Ed's 1950's diner before the show. Real American burgers and milk shakes made with ice cream - not just milk! I think something got seriously lost in translation with some British milk shake shops that literally use just milk to mix with chunks of candy bars. Not exactly satisfying, so Ed's was a much appreciated stop!


Honestly, the music was fantastic - think of all the Four Seasons numbers you know:
Sherry
Big Girls Don't Cry
Walk Like A Man
Stay
Bye, Bye Baby
Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
Who Loves You
Working My Way Back To You
Oh What A Night!

By the end of the show, they had us all on our feet dancing and clapping (though I must admit I was swaying in my seat for most of the show!) As I recall it ended much too soon - Oh what a night!

I've been walking around London singing The Four Seasons ever since.

The singers were phenomenal - especially the one who played Frankie Valli. We actually didn't have the guy on the poster in the photo with me - we had his alternate who floored me with his musical talent. And the guy who played Tommy (above) was a perfect casting choice!


The show wasn't like Mamma Mia, which just uses the songs of Abba to complement a new story. Jersey Boys took the audience through the lives and careers of the Four Seasons from putting the band together to American Band Stand to the band's breakup to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's an interesting story - and each "season" of their careers are told from a different band member's perspective. Well worth seeing!

P.S. The cast was mostly Londoners - and they pulled off a convincing Jersey accent. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment