Friday, July 3, 2009

All my bags are packed...

I decided I needed a place to document and share my travels and my photos while abroad, and being the PR girl who still didn't keep a blog, I thought it best to start one. It seems nearly unbelievable that I leave tomorrow night for London - or more specifically the University of Greenwich - for my study abroad program. I have no idea where the past few weeks since spring quarter let out have gone, but I am pretty excited to start traveling.

I packed my bags (yes I am unfortunately taking multiple). I know how awful traveling with two suitcases can be from prior experience dragging them through Australia. Then, it was necessary. I was competing in a tennis tournament then so one bag held my tennis gear, the other my regular clothing. I am actually able to fit it all in one suitcase, I just apparently have really really heavy stuff and would throw out my back trying to lift a single suitcase. At least those will only be toted twice (once getting to the University and once coming back to fly out). For my weekend travels I'll use a mini bag.

I'm in DC a few days visiting Tom. Ironically, yes, I will be flying out of our nation's capital on the 4th of July. I am kind of sad that Tom and I won't be able to go see the fireworks together, but after the Inaugural Concert and the Inauguration, I think I have had my fill of fighting massive crowds on the Mall for a while.

I'll be in a literature program while abroad (fulfilling some general education requirements). Trying to get my last book read before I leave (Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway). All the others we were assigned I really enjoyed and didn't want to put down. I left this one for last and I'm having trouble motivating myself to get past page 2. Hopefully I can pull it off before tomorrow night because while I will have quite a few good hours on the plane, based on past traveling experience, I am more likely to sleep or be distracted by the array of available movies than read a book I really don't want to read in the first place.

I will leave you now with the quote that inspired the name of my blog:
Not all who wander are lost...
-JRR Tolkein

No comments:

Post a Comment