Monday, November 22, 2010

New Adventure #7: Suit up - it's going to be legen - and i hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last word is - dary

Wall Street.

Seeming how I've never had aspirations to be a stock broker, I would have never dreamed I'd be suited up (makes me think of Barney from How I Met Your Mother, hence the legendary title) to go to the New York Stock Exchange. On our walk there from the hotel, we were following the "guy in the suit" who was leading our group... which got increasingly difficult to do as we mixed in with the swarms of New York madness. Apparently following the "guy in the suit" doesn't really work in New York where if you aren't in a suit, you're probably homeless.

But there we are... on the NYSE floor.

Really random observation I made - it is so dirty on the NYSE floor. All of these money-making men (and women, but mostly men) in Armani suits, and they just throw their papers and wrappers and styrofoam coffee cups on the floor. Was it because there was a lack of trash cans? No... Apparently the extra foot and a half it would require to throw their coffee cup into the trash can was too much exerted effort. And maybe - you say - they are just working so fast and so hard that they don't have the spare second to throw it away. A good theory, but invalid based on the number of guys playing solitaire or just chillin' at their work stations.

I tried to understand all of the numbers on the screens. And the process of buying and selling. I was glad that the Finance kids were just as confused as I was.

And I tried to imagine what I would possibly say if this phone actually rang. :)

Below is where they ring the bell. I never knew it would be so small.

I was hoping they would let me ring the bell. Apparently there is a very long waiting list - unless of course you are Jersey Shore.

I hope I didn't look as bored as Snooki and J-Woww or whatever ridiculous names they go by.

Of course we got a picture with the Charging Bull at Battery Park. It apparently represents the "energy, strength, and unpredictability of the stock market."

A beautiful couple of days in NYC. If you really squint, you can see the Statue of Liberty below. I didn't realize it until after I took the photo, to be honest. I'm just a little obsessed with taking photos of lamp posts, so I guess the Statue of Liberty was an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment