Thursday, August 12, 2010

The name of the city I'm living in includes the word "Beach" - life is good

I don't think anyone who lives in a town with a name that includes the word "beach" should ever be unhappy. It is unbelievably relaxing to come home from a long, hard day at work and walk two blocks to the ocean. Or for me, I bike down the two blocks to "The Strand" (a 22-mile bike path from Santa Monica to Redondo Beach) and ride beside the sand and surf.



(Some pics I took on my last bike ride up the Strand to Manhattan Beach)

So I now live in Hermosa Beach. Who are Hermosa Beach's notable residents? According to Wikipedia, some notables (besides myself, of course) are: Carson Daly, Kerri Walsh (pro volleyball player), and A.J. Cook (the actress from Criminal Minds. And yes I like that show. Because rather than the OC and Gossip Girl, I like JAG, and Numbers, and the Mentalist and other shows that only 40 year old men watch).

Another notable resident: Ryan Starr. I got a little excited when I read that Ryan Star lived in Hermosa Beach.. right until I noticed the extra R in the last name. In fact, Ryan Starr (two Rs) is the name of the America Idol contestant (and her name isn't actually Ryan Starr at all it is Tiffany Ryan Montgomery). Ryan Star (one R) is the name of the male musician I really like who sings Last Train Home, Breathe and Back of Your Car,, and he unfortunately does NOT live in Hermosa Beach. I became a fan of Ryan - and Toby Rand (lead singer of Juke Kartel) - when I saw them on Rock Star Supernova, one of the crappy reality TV shows that I really kind of enjoyed. I'm considering seeing Ryan's show at the Troubador in a few weeks. Tickets are only $12 and it might be a nice little intimate setting. Maybe I'll meet him like I did Juke Kartel freshman year in Columbus:



I shouldn't hope for that though. The last time I went to something hoping to catch a glimpse of someone, it didn't happen. Went to see RENT at the Hollywood Bowl with my mom... and I was praying I'd see Neil Patrick Harris at the end (he directed it). The Hollywood Bowl was sweet. You can take your own food in - and people do. And I don't mean picnics of ham sandwiches and potato chips, I mean gourmet meals and wine. It was my first time seeing RENT, and the show was great - packed with celebrity actors and actresses, great singers and music. But did the director ever make an appearance? No. Not at all. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Still hoping for a celebrity meeting while living in LA. And I don't mean I went to some guy's concert and I met him afterwards. I mean, I want to run into a celeb at the bar, hang out and drink a margarita together. I have seven months to accomplish this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment